Thursday, September 30, 2010

Saynora Japan!!!

Wow Japan, I fell in love with you like I never thought I would. Though I HATE your weather I love your country and all it has to offer. In the beginning you tested my (and Bridget’s) patience with the food but I slowly figured you out; you surprisingly make some of the best Italian food I have ever eaten and hey I am from NY so that is impressive and have introduced me to some many different flavors of nan bread that I never knew existed. I fell in love with white rice and though I will still never like American rice I will had a soft spot in my heart (and my belly) for your rice, rice toppings, and rice balls.

Five months later I am still impressed by your:
  • Order and efficiency – trains are always on the exact time, people line up to get on and off the train, and for a country with so many people it runs so smoothly
  • Kids – I will never get over how little ones can roam without adult supervision. In the beginning I was ready to call Child Protective Service on this whole country but now I see it is because there is really no crime.
  • Safety – o how easily it is for me now to leave a bag and walk away and know that it is completely safe. I think 5 minutes back in the states will cure me of this.
  • Dress and shoes – seriously, anything goes. The Japanese are always put together even though some of their clothe combinations make you go hmmmm really? Also, shoes – who knew 5 inch heels can be anywhere and everywhere. They run around them like they are slippers.
  • Politeness – one of the most polite countries I have ever been in, I lie I think it is the most polite. Even when you do something wrong or can’t speak their language they apologize. I had about 10 words of Japanese in my vocabulary but you made it work!
  • Taxis – white covers on the seats, sometimes gloved drivers, and the ability to open my door from the drivers seat will forever impress me. Next time I am in an awful DC cab I will remember you with a heavy heart!!
  • Random English – there will be a sign, a shirt, anything with Japanese writing and then random English words
  • Head nodding – a nod of the head just says so much
  • Wet towels – so nice to sit down and wash your hands at your table but this only slightly makes up for their aversion to napkins in restaurants and bathrooms
  • Your fun toilet features!

    Even though I stood out like a sore thumb I never felt like a circus freak and even when kids looked at me all it took was a smile and a hi to get giggled. Thank you Japan for letting me to get to know you, your people, and your culture. Even though the language barrier was there it was never frustrating, well I lie it was in the beginning with food. I think I traveled through Japan with as much ease maybe even more ease then all of my time in Europe. Japan………….I will be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment