Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Day We Will Never Forget

Today is September 11th and for everyone it is a day that we will (hopefully) never forget. It was said today that every generation has their own Pearl Harbor and this is ours. While I have been in Japan I have had the pleasure and fortune to talking to our service members and hearing their stories. Some people I have met have been over to Iraq and Afghanistan numerous times; I know one person who has been deployed to the Middle East 6 times and another 8 times (that last includes the first Persian Gulf War). I also currently have one childhood friend and one of my cousins over in Afghanistan. Therefore, I felt very fortunate to be at MCAS Iwakuni for the Freedom Walk. It began with everyone gathering and then colors (American and Japanese National Anthems, this happens every morning at 8) and then walking to the Chapel for a prayer service. I was lucky to meet up with one of my coworkers and her family and then walking with a few of the Marines that I know. This year the prayer service added a Bell Ceremony, led by a Japanese firefighter, to honor all of the firefighters lost on September 11th. Interestingly two people fainted during the prayer service and I am not quite sure but it was dealt with quickly. I felt very honored to be with the Marines and who protect our Country, the families who sacrifice so they can, and to remember what happened that day; it is also important to me since my hometown lost 80 people that day and my dad volunteered to go thru the debris in Staten Island. So please take time to think about this day and just not let it pass.

Right after this I went to breakfast with the retirees, I do love old people, which was a nice way to spend the morning and to hear their storeis as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment