Sunday, August 15, 2010

Obon!

This weekend was Obon, well it is a 3 day festival and the days actually vary depending on region but this was Obon weekend down in Sasebo. Obon is a Japanese Buddhist custom to honor the deceased spirits of one's ancestors. This Buddhist custom has evolved into a family reunion holiday during which people return to ancestral family places and visit and clean their ancestors' graves, and when the spirits of ancestors are supposed to revisit the household altars. My coworkers told me that they clean their families graves and then place cigarettes (if they were smokers) and saki by their graves.

In Sasebo, they walk thru the streets carrying floats, with the picture of the deceased member. As they are walking along the streets they also set off fireworks. This is the crazy part, they just throw them as they walk and I mean they throw them in front of them, behind them, to the side of them; honestly, it doesn't make any difference. They are loud noise makers that spark on the ground and you just hear pop pop pop everywhere!! I am beyond shocked that no one is injured because they just toss and walk and there are all these families, including kids, behind them and cars to the side of them.

It was amazing and touching to see these families celebrate the life of their recently deceased. Most of the floats were small but every once in awhile they were big. I was really touched by it and think it is a nice way to honor our loved ones. I was told that at midnite, so about 5 to 6 hours of walking thru the streets, they then put the floats into the water. I have to admit I didn't stick around for that. Imagine honoring your deceased loved ones with a parade and fireworks. I was telling my dad about this festival and I told him that if it was Nana we would probably be leaving tea at her grave!

I try to blend in, seriously who am I kidding.......me blend in?? So I don't like taking pictures unless I ask or I know it is okay but once I saw the Japanese doing it I figured it was okay. The first picture I took of the families they gave me the peace sign, this is a standard pose, so I figured it was kosher with them. I really can't express how even the concept of this holiday has touched me.













No comments:

Post a Comment