Saturday, August 14, 2010

O Boy!!!

So let's be honest here, I stand out in Japan. Last year my friends gave me an extremely appropriate bright yellow shirt that had a sumo on it and said "I am big in Japan." I have become used to it and I find it funny sometimes. Tonite I decided to venture outside of my comfort zone and go to a different restaurant then I usually do in Sasebo; O Bishnus (Indian) how I <3 you!! I saw a tempura restaurant off the ginza awhile back so I decided tonite would be the nite. Like a lot of smaller restaurants in Japan the seating is counter seating; in this case, it was a small rounded counter that surrounded the chef and the pots where he made the tempura fresh. When I walked in I noticed seats at the end of counter and as I headed that way I saw the reserved sign so I ended up sitting in between a few of the Japanese. This counter was tiny there were 8 people there and it was packed, I also think they all came at the same time because the chef was serving them at the same time.

I have to admit that when it comes to chopsticks my skills are fair, it takes me a little bit but I can get it. My chopstick skills are similar to my parallel parking skills, they are awesome only when no one is looking. So as I got my tempura, a little bit behind everyone else, the lady next to me was watching me. Now with this pressure and a big piece of sweet potato to pick up I struggled, I knew I would eventually get it but it took a second. Well she said something to me, who knows what she said, and then said something to the girl next to her. Next thing I know the girl is asking for a fork, I have not used a fork the entire time I have been here and I wasn't going to now! So next thing I know they are bringing me out a fork and a spoon BUT this was not just any normal fork and spoon this was a little kiddie version with bears on it. I said no, of course I couldn't remember my phrase for no thank you as everyone looked on, and then they gave the fork to the lady who ordered it.

The couple on the other side of me passed me seasonings and ordered me more water (I can do this but just didn't yet). After I was done, I noticed some people were ordering more food and so I wanted just some shrimp and tried to show him the word for shrimp (which was next to vegetables) and next thing I know I ordered a second meal........so full but so good. O silly American but at least I think I provided some entertainment to the Japanese!

No comments:

Post a Comment