Monday, August 9, 2010

Another Place of Destruction, Another Anniversary

August 6th was the anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima, well August 9th is the anniversary of the bombing of Nagasaki. At 11:01 AM, the "Fat Man" was dropped on Nagasaki, the nuclear bomb that was dropped over Hiroshima was "Little Boy." When I went to Hiroshima I was just filled with the sense of peace and tranquility that was not the same feeling I had in Nagasaki. The Peace Park in Hiroshima is very big and is not surrounded by houses but in Nagasaki the A Bomb site is part of the town, the Peace park is on a hill. When you are at the A Bomb site in Nagasaki you can feel the sense of destruction and sadness. I went to Nagasaki a week before the anniversary.




The hypocenter of the A bomb: then and now:







Other Monuments:






The Atomic Bomb Museum. It was definitely very interesting and they had videos of the events leading up to the bomb that I really enjoyed. So the little boy in the picture and made me laugh in a very sad place. He was filled with so much energy and joy and every time I turned around he was either sliding down a podium, rolling down the spiral walk way or just running around. He was not with his parents when he was doing this because in Japan it is totally natural to let your kids wander around. He really put a smile on my face and made me see joy where there was so much sadness and destruction.





These are made out of origami birds. At work our summer hires made one of these and they made over 1000 of them. They were all over the peace park and at the museum they used them to make posters and other pictures.




Peace Park:





No comments:

Post a Comment