Friday, May 21, 2010

Starbucks Love

Starbucks in Shibuya, Tokyo

If you know me you know that I am a Starbucks Addict. I mean come on people I have a gold Starbucks card engraved with my name on it, my barrista makes my drink when she sees me crossing the street, and before I left I said goodbye to her. When Bridge and I were in Tokyo we saw Starbucks everywhere!! However, I was good and waited until my 4th day to go and we only went so we could use the bathrooms. Side note: when traveling in Europe always find a Starbucks because though everyone else charges for bathrooms Starbucks does not. Anyway back to Japan, a cool thing about Starbucks in Japan is everyone had smaller sizes - before getting a Tall (a small to you Starbucks amateurs)you can go a size smaller and get a Short.

I joke back at work that I need Starbucks Anoynmous. Well I have realized that this really is not a joke.........I have been DYING here! I did not realize how dependent I have become on it to work and as I noted earlier Seattles Best is just not the same. At the Naval Base in Sasebo they have Dunkin Donuts; however, they do not sell their sugary Chi. So this all led to my near accosting of somebody in the Navy Lodge yesterday. He was at the check in desk with his back to me and I noticed the Starbucks cup sitting on the desk. Well a normal person would just keep walking but ummmmmmm have you met me, normal is not a word my friends would use to describe me. Therefore, as I walked by I asked (um maybe too enthusiatically) where he got his Starbucks. As he told me that he bought it in town but they had coffee on base I tried to explain to him that normal coffee is not what I was after. Another side note: I don't drink coffee, I HATE coffee, chi is where my <3 is.

So today after work I decided to walk into Sasebo to locate Starbucks, my plan was to only locate; however, I am weak to the power of Starbucks. It is located in the Ginza, a covered arcade filled with restaurants and bars. My co-worker was right when he said there would be many Americans in this area, especially at Starbucks. I took a seat outside and sat with my magazine and some of the best people watching I have experienced took place. I found it hysterical to watch a young (probably 20 year old) American try and hit on some Japanese girls as his friends (and everyone else) sat back, watched, and laughed. I guess I stand out because I had at least 2 members of the Navy start conversations with me and inquire why I was there (I guess that means I don't look Navy!). I seriously think I was laughing out loud and smiling for 2 1/2 hours. Overall, this was a great Friday nite because I got in some extremley amusing people watching, talked to some interesting people, got my Starbucks addiction filled, and found a fantastic place for future people watching.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH STARBUCKS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment